Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mommy Saves the Day



It was like any other Wednesday morning, driving to work down the George Bush Highway toward work, my tunes playing in the background as my mind drifted to the days events that I had ahead of me. All I could think about was that darn RFE case sitting on my desk to follow up on this morning. It had been a horrible mess that just would not go away and I was on my way to tackle it again one more day. Then, my cell phone rang and interrupted my mindless thoughts. From the ring tone even before looking at the caller ID I knew it was Eddie. I answered but to my surprise it was a little tiny voice that answered my “hello”, it was Elyssa in a frantic voice “Mommy!”, I answered “yes, Elyssa what do you need?” I could hear the frustration in her voice as she said “Mommy, you have to come home right now!” I almost had to giggle because I could not imagine what she had conjured up in her little head that was so important that I needed to “come home”. “Elyssa” I ask “ what's wrong, what do you need?” She could barely hold it in “Mommy, Mommy , you have to come home, you have my Tinkerbell watch in your purse and I need it, I need it to wear to school!” ….and so it begins. My little girl has officially become a a girly girl. Gone are the days where she did not want bows in her hair and I could decide what she wore in the morning, she is now an independent young lady with a fashion and opinion all of her own. Although she wears a uniform to school and there is not much in the way of decision making , she does decide every morning if it is going to be 1 or 2 pony tails in her hair or if she is going to just wear it straight. She has bows and headbands that she chooses from every morning and please , lets not forget her lip gloss that she takes along with her as well. We choose from either the small one that fits in her pocket or the fancy one that she can wear around her neck all day at school like a badge of honor amongst the little girls. She has an array of necklaces that she chooses from as well. Hearts, butterflies and even “bow” necklaces are what she has to choose from. And today, this chilly October morning she was unable to find her new Tinkerbell watch we bought for her this weekend and because of that her world was coming to an end. It only took me a few minutes to calm my little girls fears that mommy did not have her watch in her purse that it was upstairs in her bedroom on her dresser. I could hear the sigh of relief in her voice as she turned to daddy and said “daddy , it is on my dresser, please go get it, mommy said it was there”. She quickly thanked me for my help and told me she “loved me more and good bye”. What an empowering feeling as a mom that I could so easily calm her frustrations and solve her biggest problem with such little effort. My mind does drift to the years ahead when it will not be so easy to kiss a boo-boo all better or find her pooh bear when he is hiding under the covers or that missing Tinkerbell watch that was not really lost. Sadly, I think about those days when her best friend steals her boyfriend, or she does not make the cheer leading squad or get the lead in the school play. I ask myself how will I then at those times make her feel safe and secure? I don't have answers for those questions now, I guess we will cross those bridges when we come to them. For now I am going to just enjoy the beautiful little girl in her pig tails with matching rainbow colored bows looking into my eyes and saying “mom your the best mom ever!” and pray that God gives me the strength to keep her safe and innocent as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment