Sunday, October 9, 2011

They say change is good right?



Well I think that we in the Borden house have seen our share of change in the past few months for sure. My last post was about the wedding we went to in April, by June I had a new job. Yes , you read that right, I had a job. I really had no intention of going back to work, in fact I was not sure if I ever wanted to go back to work, of course our financial situation had something to do with it as well. Eddie was looking for a new job, but the current economic environment was just not making it easy. So when a friend of mine called and asked me to come back to work with her I had to give it a second thought. She insisted that I email her my resume as soon as possible. This was a Friday evening, on Monday I emailed her my resume to review and unbeknownst to me she had already forwarded my resume to her manager who in turn called me within 15 minutes! I must say I was a bit impressed, for someone who has been out of the work force for over 6 years it was a bit flattering and frightening. Of course my friend Jamie had a lot to do with it , she talked me up, not really sure how since I'd been a college student / stay at home mom for 6 years! Anyway I had 2 interviews within the week and was offered the job the following Monday. To be honest if it had not been such a good offer financially I would have never, ever dreamed of leaving my precious little princess to re- enter the work force. So began my problem....what the heck was I going to do with Elyssa. I explained my situation to the HR person for my new employer and I was able to put off my start date for about 3 weeks. Hopefully long enough to allow me to find suitable care for my precious little Elyssa...

….and then came the tears. I started crying daily at the thoughts of leaving Elyssa. To be honest she was really ok with it. She was actually excited about going to school. Eddie was ok about it, he was not so sure about me going back to work and the fact that we had to leave Elyssa with strangers. I started interviewing a few different day cares every day. I was slowly getting discouraged because everyone I walked into felt so institutionalized. The kids were in one room all day and the kids all seemed out of control. The last place I looked at and yes, it ended up where we placed Elyssa was a new Montessori Academy that I happened to notice while driving by one day. I honestly thought the place would cost way to much just by looking at it and reading about it, but I figured what the heck. I had already decided to raise the bar a bit since looking at some of my other options. I knew I was not going to leave Elyssa anyplace that I did not get that “warm/ fuzzy” feeling. We had our appointment with the Montessori academy on Thursday and by Monday Elyssa was enrolled on her new journey. We were both about to embark on a new adventure. I at that point had 2 more weeks before I was going to start my job. I spent the first week spending everyday doing fun things with her all day long. We did the zoo, spray parks, and play dates. The next week Elyssa started school. I wanted to spend a week breaking her into her new schedule. She was going to be there everyday from about 7:30 when Daddy dropped her off until about 5:20 when I would be able to get her. The first day I dropped her off, I thought my heart was being ripped from my body. I cried all the way home and thought I was doing all the wrong things. I drove home as fast as I could and jumped on my computer, the Academy had online viewing web cams so I was able to watch my little princess all day long. It really did help, but of course I did not get anything done that day at all. So much for free time, I was to busy watching Elyssa Cam! She did wonderfully her first day. I only left her about 6 hours the first day, just enough time for her to get acquainted. I took her a bit earlier the next day and I thought it would get better but I think I cried even more the second day. I have to say I was glad that I had not started work that week and allowed myself the time to adjust to leaving her with strangers. I knew that all to soon these teachers would become more like family to her than teachers just because of the mere amount of time she would spend with them, but for that first week, it was just all to new for both of us. Now, for Elyssa she loved it. She was excited to go everyday and could not stop talking about it all the way home. She would ask if she was able to go back the next day! The week went well and by Friday I was feeling a lot better about starting my own new adventure the following Monday. I started my job on July 5, 2011, and things have never been the same. On the flip side, a little over a month after I started my job, Eddie got a new job. Not just a new job, an incredible new job, that had I just waited a bit longer , would never have had to go back to work. Funny how life works like that, right? We are blessed to be in the situation we are in now. Believe me it is tempting to quit work , but Elyssa is enrolled till July and paid through July of next year so she will be in school anyway. Next year she will be in kindergarten so she will be in school all day anyway , so I will keep working. The Montessori Academy goes to 6th grade, so as long as she likes it and is progressing we see no reason to take her out.

We have all kinds of new things going on right now, but I think this is a good start to the new chapter in our lives...stay tuned for more to come...!

No comments:

Post a Comment