Tuesday, June 16, 2009

April 15, 2008

Boy have we had some really bad weather here in TX. In fact last Wednesday night we spent the early morning hours in the Bathroom listening to a weather radio! Eddie had been out of town till Wednesday night and boy am I glad he was home with us. They had been calling for bad weather all week but who would have known it was going to be that bad! It was about 3:15am in the morning. Elyssa had been up at around 2am so I was not completely asleep when I heard a siren off in the distance. Not fire truck or ambulance sirens but something different. I woke Eddie up, who of course did not want to wake up, finally I just almost yelled “Eddie wake up, what’s that sound??” I guess he heard the urgency in my voice. The weather out side was windy, rainy and stormy, but we get storms in TX all the time right? Well he woke up and said “Oh no, That’s a Tornado warning!” I sat up in bed as he ran to the TV to turn it on, just in time to hear them say there was tornado touchdown about 15 miles from our house! He yelled at me to grab the baby who was sleeping soundly in her crib. I grabbed her, got the dogs and we all ran downstairs to the bathroom. Eddie grabbed a mattress topper, flashlights, and a weather radio, I grabbed the baby’s diaper bag and some pillow’s from the living room and we all huddled in the bathroom. Of course Elyssa thought it was the perfect time to wake up and play but there wasn’t a lot of room to move around with the 5 of us in that one room. Yes, 5 of us, both dogs that are not very small were in there with us. I was not going to let anything happen to my puppies! The wind and rain was really terrible outside and the thunder was deafening but we were all as safe as we could be considering the situation. We heard on the weather radio that the warning was in effect till 4:45 am so we were set to camp out. It was pretty difficult to keep Elyssa occupied; all she wanted to do was play with the dogs who of course wanted nothing to do with her considering the circumstances. We left the bathroom around 4:45 and turned on the TV to see what had happened. It was not till the next day that we found out there were 5 reported tornados in the DFW area. Luckily we did not have any problems or damage from the storm. Guess it was time to count our blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment