Monday, June 15, 2009

Aug 10, 2007

Wow, time sure does fly and not necessarily when you are just having fun. We have been dealing with a medical issue that little Elyssa has. She was diagnosed with a Brachycephalic head. We have known about it since she was born but we had hoped that with aggressive repositioning and TLC we would be able to correct the problem on our own. The condition is where the back of her head is actually flatter than normal and the asymmetry is off. A lot of times babies develop it because they are always sleeping on their backs and their heads are so soft, well little Elyssa’s was developed “intra-uterine” while in the womb, because of lack of space and her position for 8 months. When she was born we noticed it but the dr’s were sure we could correct it with tummy time and repositioning… it has not worked and now at 4 months they want to start treatment. She will have to wear a “helmet” called a DOC Band for 8 weeks or so, 23 hours a day! I will have to take her for appointments every week to have it re-shaped as her head grows. The issue is our wonderful INSURANCE HAS DENIED THE TREATMENT!! Yes, the wonderful world of insurance. I spent 10 years in medical insurance reimbursement and billing and have seen this happen a thousand times but never, ever thought it would happen to me. We have filed appeal after appeal, to no avail…. I have medical dr’s and the technicians from Cranial Technologies telling us that she needs it and is a wonderful candidate for treatment but our INSURANCE is refusing to pay for it!!! The out of pocket for Eddie and I since we are going to pay for treatment either way will be about $3000! I guess we say “Merry Christmas” Elyssa…. What a blow I tell you. I mean we in no way are going to let this go untreated regardless to what happens with the insurance, she will have the treatment and it this will get corrected, it just really burns my butt that the insurance company keeps denying it as “not medically necessary”???!!! We are still appealing this doing a “peer review” dr to dr with our pediatrician but I’m starting to feel like we are loosing ground. I will keep everyone updated as this all progresses.
Other than that all is going well in our house. We have been keeping busy with all the dr’s appointments for her head and me dealing with dr’s and insurance companies, it sure has taken a lot out of me. It is just so discouraging! Eddie has been gone this week, actually in MI, and then in OH. We get to go pick him up at the airport tonight. His flight comes in at 11pm so little one will be in her PJ’s for this trip. He gets to fly back “first class” on this trip home. The company always guarantees that he will be home on the weekends so if the only seat that is available is first class, he gets to travel first class. Must be nice huh? He deserves it though; he works so hard these days and has to be away from me and little princess all the time. I feel bad for him a lot of the time…
Elyssa is doing wonderfully; she is growing so much and getting so big. She is talking so much (baby babble) and has really found her voice. She “squeals” now!! It is sooo cute and giggles and laughs so much. Her Aunt Tonia was over this week and she had her laughing sooo much I had to video tape it.. she has the cutes little giggle. She is slowly developing her own little personality!
Well we sold the Pool Table!! I am going to get to work on transforming my house this weekend I am sooo excited. Friends of ours Mike and Elana bought it and are taking it off our hands. In fact they are coming up today to pick it up….I just can’t wait! Better go get ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment