Tuesday, June 16, 2009

May 21, 2008

Yes, I said the stupid things we do….. I severely sprained my left ankle last Friday and spent 4 hours in the ER for them to tell me that. They sent me home on crutches and strapped into a walking boot. I was not real happy about any of it….

Now, what happened, Elyssa and I were leaving a play date on Friday. As I was walking down the sidewalk, Elyssa was fussing and such because she was tired and I missed the “step” in the sidewalk. I heard a snap and thought for sure it was broken but I guess I lucked out right? I crawled to the truck and got myself and Elyssa into the truck, thinking it was not as bad as it was but by the time I got home I was crying and wondering how I was going to get Elyssa into the house. I honestly have no idea how I got her in, I can’t remember any of it. I was in so much pain I was sure it was broken. I got some ice on it and sat down after trying to get Elyssa some lunch and by then my ankle was the size of a tennis ball. I thought I would just sit there and wait for Tonia and Red to come over that evening. They were planning on coming over to celebrate my b-day and bring me dinner. I figured if it were still bad I’d have one of them take me to the ER. But as I sat there even longer the pain was not getting any better. A friend of mine Lisa called and as I hobbled to get the phone, I was out of breath when I finally answered. She asked what was going on and after hearing my story insisted on coming over and making me go to the ER. So off we went to sit for 4 hours!! Elyssa was actually pretty good. Lisa is just great with her and let her get away with what ever she wanted, which was walking all over the halls of the ER saying Hi to everyone. She is such a little social baby and so personable. She would walk up the hall from my room and turn around and wave at me and giggle…that’s my girl! So when they let me go they put me in this incredible walking boot that “inflates” to stabilize my ankle completely. It felt 100% better but still very tender. They gave me orders to follow up with an orthopedic surgeon on Monday and sent us on our way. Well not to mention they gave me a couple prescriptions for some nice pain medicines, you gotta love that! Eddie of course was still in Las Angeles and not coming in till that evening, so when we got home Lisa stayed with me till Tonia and Red showed up to take care of Elyssa and feed me..lol.

I went to the Dr’s on Monday and he informed me I tore all 3 tendons/ligaments around my ankle…as he said “I did a good job on my ankle”. I asked if I would be walking by this weekend and he laughed and said it could be up to 3 weeks!! I of course am going to do my darnedest to not let it take 3 weeks. The walking boot has to go! He also told me to keep it elevated because it is really, really swelled. He then looked at Elyssa and said “You don’t get much of an opportunity to do that now do you”??? … .I was like duh?? So he prescribed another med to help with the swelling.

Elyssa has adjusted to my new inability to move. She realizes that she can now outrun me! We are living downstairs this week since Daddy is out of town this week and we are on our own. It is amazing what you realize you can do when you have to. I’m actually able to hobble around short distances just on the boot without crutches. I’ve learned where I can balance myself and not cause any pain. If I have to go long distances I have to use the crutches but around the house and here and there I think I’m doing great. I keep pushing myself to walk on it …I need to get this thing off and get back to normal!

So here I am… pretty much laid up for a little while, but I will say “you can’t keep a good woman down” and I will be back… I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment