Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sept 12, 2008

Well lesson learned and well another trip up and coming. I guess we all have to do it sometime, it is unenviable. At some point every parent wants to take their precious little baby or toddler on an airplane. Elyssa has been on a plane before, in fact several times at that! What is different this time, why was this trip the trip to top all trips you ask??? She can walk now…yup, those little legs now know how to get up and going and all she wants to do is run and climb everything, including me. On the plane it was no different. I can honestly say I dreaded the plane trip weeks before we left. We wanted to go see Aunt Heidi and Uncle Ken, we owed them a visit and it had been since Elyssa’s first b-day since Aunt Heidi had seen her. So with all of our free flights we booked that magical trip. We took the DVD player with us so Elyssa could watch Wonder Pet’s or Baby Einstein’s or even Blues Clues or Barney if she wanted. Whatever it would take to keep our princess happy on the plane….yeah, right. What a farce, who said that a 17 month old would actually pay attention to a 7 inch screen that was streaming video of her favorite shows??? Not my child, oh not my little princess!!! From the minute / second we got on the plane we were in trouble. She would not for any reason what so ever, sit still, or sit down in a seat. Since she is under 2 she flies free, but she has to sit on our lap, right? Well neither one of us could make her understand that. Just try reasoning with a 17 month old baby.. I dare you! Our child was “that child”; you know the one, that one that all the passengers, whisper about, and look at you and shake their heads…yup, that was Elyssa. She made a name for herself on that flight and it was not a good one. The really bad part is we had a layover in El Paso on the way to Phoenix which made the trip even longer. By the time we got to Phoenix I was ready to cry..lol. I got off the plane looked at Eddie and told him I wanted to rent a car and drive home. He just kept saying Benadryl; we are going to use Benadryl on the way home. Apparently Benadryl is supposed to put your precious child to sleep as well as take care of any allergies or sinus issues they may have. So I agreed, what did I have to loose, except maybe my sanity. So on the trip back we stopped at Walgreens picked up the Benadryl and headed to the airport. Well let me bet the first to refute the Benadryl claim!! They are FALSE I tell you, FALSE!! The trip back was the same hell that the trip going was, if not worse. I can’t believe that the child on the airplane was my child. I feel like she was possessed on the plane and I feel bad for all of the passengers who were stuck sitting anywhere near us…!!! I have no idea what we will do to prepare for our next trip in a couple months. I am certainly dreading every waking moment of it and it will be an even longer flight because we are going home to visit Grandma and Pappy in Pittsburgh, soooooo I think I need to take some Valium before we leave…lol.

Our visit with Aunt Heidi and Uncle Ken was great! Elyssa just loved the dogs, there were two, a German Shepard named Jesse and a Pitt Bull named Lexi, she had a blast palying with them! We got to go swimming in Aunt Heidi’s incredible pool. Uncle Ken took us to the Air Force Base and we got to see all the Jets and neat stuff. Aunt Heidi took us to one of the state parks where we took some incredible pictures and Uncle Ken even got all his toys out and took Elyssa on her first Quad ride. We really had a great time. The weather was great, the temp was between 107-109 the whole time we were there, but we are used to the heat. Texas has it’s own heat to deal with so after you hit 100 it is all relative. It was sad when we had to leave, I think Aunt Heidi did not want Princess Elyssa to leave, and had I known how bad the flight home was going to be , I just might have left her with her…lol, just kidding, just kidding….I could not live without my little girl (monster) even for a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment